Friday, February 25, 2011

Someone Left a Cake Out in The Rain


Writing is a subjective business, a lonely, difficult, often thankless, subjective business. As author Robin Black says in her excellent post on Beyond the Margins, every time we start a new project, we have to teach ourselves to write all over again. You must check out this article; it's fantastic! ...as is Ms. Black's post on Subjectivity.

As I sit here on a snowy New England Day, the kids alternately squabbling and going Jedi in the next room, I contemplate this crazy writing thing. It could be easier, I think, to take up some more reasonable activity, bungy jumping for instance, or basket weaving or batik.


Some days, I open up my document and I can see every flaw. But then I think of this one-hit-wonder:


A song so bad that it was named "The Worst Song Ever Recorded" in Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs. A song that is often lampooned... even more than 40 years later:



A song that was a HUGE hit.

Here's what the soggy cake teaches me: Do the best you can. Make sure you are happy with it and that you develop your skills and editor's eye, and let the chips (sprinkles?) fall where they may. And also, watch those metaphors, they can be a little over the top.

4 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

I used to love that song. Made no sense whatsoever but it was a great slow dance song.

Sylvia Ney said...

Great advice and thanks for the links.

HowLynnTime said...

Lol - hey the cake in your picture - must be good cause even if its soggy it's almost gone! Somebody must be cake starved or its dry so a little rain can't hurt it!
Either way it's not going to waste - Thanks for the post

Laura M. Campbell said...

Robin Black's post is a great reminder that not everyone is going to like my work. I can't please everyone, which is difficult when trying to build a readership. I keep on writing, reading and learning to improve my writing in hopes someone will want to read it and (with fingers crossed) publish it. Thanks for the link.